AKC and Rare Colors
Most Rare Bulldogs Breeders are AVID AKC supporters, but, AKC & BCA Judges refuse to put up quality color dogs in the show ring even though they are closer to the Breed Standard than the dogs put up over them. This has been a trend since about 2012 and has continued to get worse, not better, to the point that BCA has now changed the breed standard to disqualify our beautiful Rare Colors and Light Eyes.. Sooo...a lot of AKC Breeders have decided to go with a world known registry that is the BEST registry out there other than AKC, so that Quality dogs can get the recognition they deserve.
AKC does register ALL color bulldogs, including the Merle Pattern, they just cannot be shown in BCA sanctioned shows.
HOW TO AKC REGISTER A RARE COLOR BULLDOG
There are 2 ways to do this.
1. REGISTER ONLINE WITH STANDARD COLOR:
Put your dogs color somewhere in the AKC Registered name so as to preserve Rare Color Pedigrees. For example, I have personally been using our catch phrases now for years: "Blu Dreams", "Chocolate Sensations", "Lilac Passions", "Black Beauty", "Platinum Perfection", "Mini Mites", "Seal Exclusives", & "Marvelous Merles". You could also just put the color in parenthesis at the end of the name like this: (Lilac). Do this if you intend to register online and choose a standard color for your dog. This is what I have started to do as many times I have went through the below instructions, doing the extra work, and taking way more time to get papers back, only to find that the color they put is wrong! I have 2 blue dogs registered as bronze, which is chocolate.
2. MAIL IN: See instructions below.
1. Take 3 photos, 1 of each side, and one from the front, with good lighting so the true colors and markings show up and will print well. Print out the photos in color.
2.Fill out your Registration Form Fully, front and back. HINT: put your e-mail address on the form and you will get a copy of your certificate mailed to you as soon as they process the registration.
3. Write directly on the form where it says color/markings, the descriptive color of your dog. Do not put any color code numbers in on the form. EX for a lilac tri write: gray and white with tan on the face and legs.
4. Include a letter that says: dear AKC, I have included all info per your requirements for alternate colored dogs. Please verify the alternate coloring for this dog/puppy to be registered. Thank You,
5. Make copies of EVERYTHING for your records.
6. Mail all docs to:
American Kennel Club
PO Box 900053
Raleigh, NC 27675-9053
TRANSFERRABLE REGISTRIES ACCEPTED BY AKC
AKC OFFICIAL WEBSITE
ABKC OFFICIAL WEBSITE